Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Bits & Pieces Part 3 aka NOT all noises need to be checked at night

It had been one of those extremely hot days with high humidity so after a shower that night I had on a very short nightshirt & yes nothing else.  Since I was on one side of the Farm I never worried about anyone coming over after dark. And to be honest it was so hot I could barely deal with what I had on.

Thankfully around 10 p.m. we began to get a very light rain that helped cut the humidity heat so I was sitting at the kitchen table writing in my journal when I heard a sound out in the far back pasture.  In the 8 plus months I had never heard a cow make this sound, it went on & on like maybe she was being attacked by coyotes.

So I grabbed a flashlight, put on my big rubber mucking boots & headed out to hopefully find her.  I got to the barn 50 feet away from the trailer when I decided to get tangled in the wire fence & fall in the mud, then as I was walking down a very muddy manure cow alley my boot got stuck & I almost took another dive. Thankfully I could still hear her or I may have turned around.  Even with the flashlight, I was headed into a area I had never been in so had no idea where the electrical fencing was.  Oh I did find it....sometimes in a very painful way since my thighs & legs were bare.

I had to travel through & over this fencing while getting attacked by large stinging nettles I could not see since it was still lightly raining & dripping water down into my face.  Soon I could hear her & knew that I was close.  I was glad to find another muddy road to walk on & as the path turned I was able to finally see eyes.  Not 2 like I thought but I had 4 eyes turned my way...One set was up over the other set, which for a moment baffled me. 

These were not coyote eyes looking at me but a very upset Bull mating with a cow!  By the time I figured this out he was off of her & slowly walking towards me making very deep low sounds.  A part of my brain was now yelling "RUN GIRL RUN!" while another part was screaming "OH DON'T YOU DARE!" 

I did back up as quietly as I could while I said softly how sorry I was to mess up his romance.  Thank goodness I saw the electrical fencing before I hit it or fell over it.  Even though I am now separated by 2 very thin wires, I knew it might not stop him so I tried to keep moving towards what I thought might be the barn. 

Well this big...did I tell you he was BIG & had very BIG horns decided to follow me & now I had the Missus following as well.  Both were quite unhappy & letting me know it with the weird sounds they were making.  Finally Mr. Bull decided to get in front of me on the path so I decided to get away from the electrical fencing & get on the same road he was on & pray he didn't turn around.  The Missus is now behind me but since its dark & the flashlight wasn't very strong I was not worried about her taking a nip out of me.

For the 10 minutes it took me (us) to get back to the barn I kept telling the 2 in a soft low voice  I was sorry.  Mr Bull lead me all the way to the barn & actually went in so I was worried he & the Missus would trap me in there & I would be stuck until when Mr, Grumpy came to get the cows for milking in the morning. 

I edged myself up against the wall so I could watch him as I headed to the gate to let me out of the barn.  It seems once they saw me close the gate, there was no reason for them to stay so off they went.  I am sure they were probably headed to a area of the pastures that would be harder for someone to find, so they could finish what I interrupted.

OK, yes I was a tad embarrassed, how did I know some cows are screamers when having sex & continue to be very noisy the whole time?  The next day the bull came in with the cows to be milked & I just happened to be outside when they came by.  That bull stopped in the middle of the road & stared at me like he knew it was me who was in the dark that interrupted his romance. 

That was bad enough, but for days other cows now stopped on the way to the milking barn & would give me the evil eye.  I swear they must have been talking about that pervert & they all had to check me out as they came by.

Needless to say I learned ALOT more about cows than I ever dreamed I would, plus saw parts of a bull I really never ever want to see again.  I am just happy to say I didn't end up with a horn stuck in my backside but got a talking to by the both of them the whole way to the barn.

Lesson learned.  Somethings that make noises at night shouldn't ever be checked when you are on a farm with bulls & cows.  Just thankful it wasn't coyote's because in my panic to go check on her I forgot to take my crossbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment