Saturday, August 4, 2012

A new adventure is coming to this ole hen!




Hello everyone!

It seems since I got back from Hawaii its been one bad thing after another & I didn't bring any of the so called cursed sand, lava or rocks home so you would think I would be alright in the 'Cursed' area....

Ok so maybe its not that bad but I have had my heart broken over events that have happened & have decided to leave my home for the next year & go to a friends old farm up in upper New York to try & figure out what I need to do.  Its been a weird & sad event for me & after nearly 22 years with the same man I am at my wits end of what will work anymore....

So I am going to take my 2 cats & all the chickens with me & homestead for a year.  Believe it or not I am looking forward to it.  I have a pioneer type heart so doing things the old way will be good for my mind & heart.  I plan to take my antique petal sewing machine with me plus fabric ect so I can sew once the winter snows come.  Plus I will need these old fashioned style clothes for when the spring & summer comes & I put in gardens, compost areas & take out brush for my friend....

they will not be living there until they retire so I will have the farm to myself with the kids...ie chickens....& since she eventually will want gardens & so on I can do that for her plus grow what I need as well.

It will be odd not having a computer & having to go back to writing letters...which I miss & enjoyed.....but I will not be on this site much so will try & have my little sis ever so often post things here for you about what I & the chickens are doing.  I am giving up TV, computers, microwave & so on but will have my battery CD player with me since I love my music & it helps get me going when I am tired.

Now just so you know I won't be leaving until the end of September so I should be able to get at least 1 or 2 more blogs in before I go.

It will be a challenge that I will look forward to for the most part.  I plan to make a solar oven & teach myself how to cook on it, plus am bringing my rain barrels for water to use with the laundry & gardens during the good seasons.  In the winter I will melt the snow to use for laundry, washing dishes & bathing.  I am bring all of my 5 gallon buckets that have flour, oats, sugar, corn meal & 7 grain mix with me along with food I have canned, beans, rice & things like that.

My 2 sisters will be here the beginning of September & we plan to go out apple picking to can up & dry for me as well as do pumpkins & pears.  I am not much of a meat eater but will enjoy the fruits & veggies we can or dry.  going to dry corn this year, its a old recipe of soaking it in milk then drying it.  it takes up less room & you fix it like you do beans with soaking it before you cook it.

I have lived this life before when I was in my 20's so know pretty much what I have to do & so on, but am sure I will forget something along the way.  I plan since I will be out in the boonies to finally quit smoking after 34 years.  I do have one of those electric cigarettes so hopefully the withdrawal won't send me into a mountain woman type reaction....at least I have no gun so don't have to worry about being in a very pissy mood & someone showing up & me flipping out on them.

Good news though is I finally finished my book "Where chickens run' last nite so its going to get copied today & hopefully up for sell in the next few days.  I am very proud of this book & hope it goes over well with other chicken owners & can help them.


Who knows I may end up with another book on my year adventure in NY...now that would be cool to say the least since I do love to write.

Now for the reasons you read my Blog, I have Ginger & Prudence both broody right now, I gave them both just 2 eggs so they have plenty of room in the nesting boxes to move around.  Poor Bowzer only had one baby hatch & it got hurt & died within 3 hours after being born.  she accidentally stepped on it & cut it with her nails....the other 3 never developed so I had to force her off those eggs & kick her out of the coop each day for 3 days.  she is now back to her normal self by following me around & talking to me while I check the water & feed dishes.

Lauria my crooked neck girl is now over a year old & doing wonderful...who knew broiler chickens could live so long?  She definitely rules the house & cats.  They have to line up behind her & wait until she is done with their cat food to eat....kind of funny to watch how patient they are with her...but then again she is so much larger than them & they hate it when she chases them through the house.  I normally do not recommend letting your chicken have dried cat food everyday but I feed mine the all meat, no grain feed so it doesn't hurt her in anyway like some of the others would.  It also has a much lower ash content & higher in proteins.

Well I had best get in the shower & head out, the bank is 45 minutes away & the stores I need to go to are 30 minutes away so will have a busy day.

Until next time have a great chicken day...M' & crew

Just a quick note to tell you it took all day but the book is now published....very happy with it, now just have to figure out what to charge since the printing was $22.60 per copy...a bit more, ok a lot more than I wanted but will just have to work around it...

No comments:

Post a Comment