Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Rain & mud a great mix for the chickens....Mud fights daily!

 Good Afternoon all my chicken friends...

As you can see I have changed from chickies to something new as the picture...I have been sewing a lot with all the rains we have had the last month or so...And since I tend to go stir crazy when I want to be outside playing in the dirt my sewing room has been visited often.  this is actually taken from a turn of the 20th century night gown jacket that i suded the basic layout then did some major changes with the back length...I wanted something pretty but usable & it will be great for the heavy bloomers I made awhile back.....Anyway thought I would share it with you.

As I said with all the rains I haven't gotten out as much as I would like but we did have some nice days so I got the herb garden in, planted the softball size cantaloupe seeds & got a bit of weeding & raking of the yard done. 

A month or so ago the hot water heater went out & just this last week the frig decided to quit...the freezer part still works so I think its just a temporary problem that can be fixed if I can pull it out of its cubby hole & dust/vacuum the coils & underside.....its not that big of a deal because I do have a frig in the shop if I need to use one but with Thomas gone I really only keep cheese, apples & eggs in it...the eggs I have been giving to my neighbors since I get too many right now to eat & I have a bunch scrambled & frozen for later use. 

I have lived in my lifetime rougher than this so I am dealing with it just fine, just find it funny it happens when Thomas is away & I don't have the good labor of his back to do these things for me...plus with out hot water I have noticed how much I am conserving because I heat up a spagetti pot of hot water on the stove for baths & doing dishes....the waste level has gone down so much & made me remember that I do tend to run more water than I need...specially for baths! 

I have a sicky hen today, yesterday she was fine but this morning is moving slow & not really eatting...she is Bess the one who had the babies I posted in my last blog.  I force fed her some baby food with a drop of baby vits in it & got her to drink a bit of water on her own...Right now she is up & about but moving very slow.....thank goodness its not egg bound but I am unsure why she is this way since she hasn't gotten into anything bad that I know of...Will be watching her through out the day thats for sure because I think her babies still need her around & would do poorly if she dies. 

The 2 other babies in the big coop are getting big & am 99% sure they are both females which is nice.....3 roosters is more than enough for me.....Today my neighbor girl came over seems Opal, one of the babies has gotten out of the run somehow & was running around crying trying to get back in & I didn't hear her....poor thing was all wet & shaking so I wrapped her in my dress while I tried to find out how she got out.  No luck but they are all in the coop right now so am not too worried about her getting out again today....hopefully tomorrow will be nice enough I can do a better look at the fencing & re-enforce it.  sneaking little thing!

Thomas finally made it to Afghanistan last week from whatever Middle Eastern country he was in before....Just in time for the Ben Laden death...I know that will put them all on high alert as I am sure some will want revenge over this.  It is now actually more dangerous there than before his death so I am a tad worried for all of them.

I just hate to see who comes out of the woodwork over this & what they will do....& the sad thing is they will kill anyone..woman, child, the elderly to make their statement....that just breaks my heart to know that someones life is not worth anything to them.

Ok enough of that before I get all sad & moppy....

I did get a 6 foot by 8 foot tarped green house for the big coop, its set up next to the run & fenced but they now have a dry area to be in when the weather is like today if they want......it was my Mother's Day gift...Every year I pick out something I would like that goes outside...one year it was a wooden picnic table, another year it was a big plastic wheel barrel/cart this year I decided the chickens needed more shelter & not always be stuck in the 6 foot by 10 foot coop...which I might add is getting extended this year by another 6 foot or so & with a indoor run area.....yes its like a resort for the chickens...my little sister calls the greenhouse the chicken condo as it has 2 nesting boxes in it & 2 nice long wood purchs for them as well as netted windows I can open up for them when its really hot.....

soon they will be expecting a small pool with some one bringing them very tiny drinks with fancy straws.....or a towel boy to wipe the sweat off their combs....thank goodness they can't snap any fingers!...I draw the line at that with them...they start snapping their feet nails at me to get my attention I think I will be pulling tail feathers.

Well I know I usually ramble on but am in need of the coffee I just put on & should be done by now so I will close...& I do apologize for not writing sooner...

hve a happy chicken day...M'

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog, it is definitely you and I am thrilled to be a follower & your friend.
    Would love to sit down with you and have a cup of coffee and visit for awhile.

    ReplyDelete