Monday, December 13, 2010

When it rains, it pours! Weather affecting my animals behavior

We are having alot of rain up here in Massachusetts, USA when we should be getting lots of snow & I swear it is affecting the way my animals are acting.

On day its 1 degree, the next its 51 degrees & weird things are going on in my household.  Let me re-define that to things are weirder than normal.  I get that my dog from the warm state of Georgia will not be liking the cold, so having her laying pretty close to on to of the wood stove when its going I think is normal, though how she does not burn her tail end is beyond me.

My one & only duck Jasper is in love with my hen Bowzer & follows hr every where but when the weater started going from hot to cold over & over, Bowzer got a bit testy & pecked him near his eye.  So the poor little guy is now in a dog crate in the laundry room with medication on his eye & surrounding area.  He will not lose the eye, thank goodness!

Gracie, one of my beautiful 5 year old white leg-horns went into the coop one night normal, next morning dead in a nesting box.  No signs of illness, injury or anything just died.

Gertie, my limping white leg-horn decided to take on a bigger & heavier black hen & got her crown all torn up within a matter of seconds & it took an hour & 15 minutes to get the really bad wound to stop bleeding.  I really though with the amount of blood she was losing it would kill her.

This weather has also caused my chickns to quit eating as much as they normally do,but the ones that lay are still laying each day.

I have noticed that it is also affecting me, as I am getting more headaches which cause me to be short tempered & moody.  See, I am allergic to all my animals except for the lizard so I get headaches more often than most people & rain seems to make them worst & last longer even though I have medicene for them.

I also have a over-weight cat (Big Momma)that is more impatient as well, Ok  so she's always in a bad mood & hates everyone, but since she can't go out when its raining.....she hates to get her feet wet! She has been screaming at everyone over everything. She has food in her bowl but she wants more in it, her water is the wrong temp & on & on.  And lets not even mention the kitten Macy, who just wants to play with her. 

So the last few days have been unsettling with all this strange behavior from my fairly normal animals.  But I do know that weather can & does create changes in animal behavior, so I have a feeling with our so called wet winter I will be dealing with a lot of adnormal stuff from the animals & have to buy a case of asprin just to get through it unless we get some snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment