Saturday, September 25, 2010

What not to wear around a Rooster with color issues

Cashmire, (who you meet each time you come to my site). Oh my beautiful second born 2-legged Welsummer boy, the protector of the girls, the one that crows until he should be horse, the bain of my existance....oops I mean...the joy of my life! Oh cut the soap opera music, if you have a rooster you know exactly what I will be talking about. We all know certain colors really ruffle the old feathers when it comes to our aggressive pig headed roosters. I wear so much red I have Chatty so used to it he ignores it. Now on the other hand, depending on the day, hour, mood of Cashmire, nothing I wear is safe....Peach colored pants...NO! Ok, lets try turq/teal pants....NO!...Purple Crocs....NO! Ok lets settle for the bland color of black pants, black shirt, black socks, black shoes...NO! It has become a sick little game of what I can get away with wearing. I can go in get the water container & he just looks at me, go back in with the same clothes on 3 minutes later & he is fighting me out the door. Now mind you, the girls are in such shock they have run to the far in of the coop in a mass pile of feathers & feet. All they want is their nice wonderful feed Momma brings, not a crazy stirred up rooster knocking over ever feed dish he can, running/charging at me. He doesn't even take the time to ruffle up the neck feathers anymore before he decides to come at me. Lord forbid I bend over anywhere near him when he gets this way. That's a big advertizing sign for him to let loose with claws & beak. I knew the spurs could be painful but deadly to a person...NO! Well, this last week in 2 different times I got nailed 9 times once & a good 6 times the next. His spurs are about 2 1/2 inchs long & pointy at the ends where Chattys are rounded. That makes a BIG difference when you get hit by them, let me tell you. Now, I understand motion pretty well, but how he jumps & can pull those legs sideways to drive those spurs in, is beyond me. During the 9 times event, he hit me just above the knee in the meaty area, drove that spur in like a nail. It hurt so bad, I just stood there trying to get the stars to go away from my eyes. Oh, and yes he is still attacking while I struggled not to pass out in front of him. Oh wouldn't I look like a big fat porcipine had its way with me. That day I was wearing peach colored pants, gray sweater & Nightmare before christmas socks....Hey it was early! The girls got their food & I held him like a football to get the rest of the work done. Next day, bruises the size of silver dollars on my legs, I go in again, he seems pretty calm, yes notice the word CALM in that. Made it maybe 2 feet in, when the spurs, feathers & hens fly. This time the front of my legs gets ripped, yes ripped open to the shin bone by my featherly little devil...angel. I was able to grab the water container & high tail it out with only 6 spur marks on me this time. Well, both legs are now so sore I just can't will myself to go in there alone. Yeap, called the husband, who is wearing black pants but does he attack him, Oh no. He approves of the husbands attire. I grab Cashmire & hand him over & finish what I need to be doing, like calming the girls, collecting the eggs while praising them for a job well done & placing the water container where it goes. Today I wore a forest green dress & he was fine with that, for today. I know you can remove the spurs or cut & burn them but to the pain of the rooster. I have a problem with that. The quick seems to follow almost down to the tip of his spurs & when I once trimmed them, they bleed for a very long time. I was able to get them to stop with white pepper & flesh color bandaids. So if you have a rooster like mine you can relate, if you are thinking of getting a rooster this could happen to you. Mother Earth News had a great article in March (2010) about how to gently scare away a aggressive rooster with soft toys & balls. Good idea but not for a make shift 4 foot by 10 feet basement tarp coop Out in the open I could do this without feeling guilty, but in their now coop, I would be terrorizing the already upset hens. BLess their little hearts, how they put up with him I don't know. Now me, I would be that mean old hen who doesn't take a kindly beak to his loud aggressive ways & would peck his head to drive some rooster sense into it. "You idiot!, drive away our food, treat & water source! What is the MATTER with you". Ok so I don't do chicken well, but you get my point. He is definitely not hen pecked yet but I am hoping to someday find that all special girl whose nasty attitude puts him in his place, if not I have some wonderful cow leather upstairs that can be made into chaps. Until next time, have a wonderful chicken day!

No comments:

Post a Comment