Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Welcome to my world

Good morning chicken people
Welcome to the Old Batz Farm! As a teen, my Dad decided I was smart enough to learn about all the medical info on our farm & house animals. Good thing, because it has come in handy now that I finally gave up the 'city' life to return to a smaller blue collar town. Now most of you will be saying a 1/3 acre of property is not a true farm, but for this woman it is enough! All I wanted was a few hens & a nice veggie garden. simple huh? Not if you have a dear neighbor girl who raising chicks from eggs & you (being me) can't resist the small fluffy chick that runs towards you the day after it is born. Chatterbox aka Chatty came home with me that day & started my 'hen' raising a year earlier than I expected or was prepared for. No coop, no run, no chick feed & only a cardboard box with a light to put her in. Well I made due & she, a Buff Orpington grew into a beautiful bird. At 4 months old I heard this awful sound come from her, thinking 'Oh No' she choking! Yes, you got it right, my girl was trying to crow. Well I had already fallen in love with him & was not Craigs listing him, he was staying! Chatty is now over one year old, has the run of my downstairs & sleeps at night in a big metal dog crate. He rules over the 3 cats, 1 dog & my husband, but is momma's little boy. I trained him at about 2 months old to wear a rabbit harness & lease so that I could take him out with me into the garden & yard. Oh how my neighbors laughed over this one. They came out just to see him in his pretty harness, not too close mind you. He is VERY protective of his momma. He no longer needs that harness as he will follow me where ever i go & comes running if I call his name. Chatty has been my re-training of living & dealing with chickens, good training I must say though. Since him, I have had 5 more roosters & at least 20 or more hens come my way. Not all healthy like him, some I have lost, some went to new homes & some are still in my house in the ER nursery. I hope you will follow me as I write about the fun, sad & crazy things that happen with me & my 'kids' each week. Until next time, have a wonderful chicken day.

No comments:

Post a Comment